Updated :
Immigrant Eligibility for Disaster Assistance

Your immigration status does not matter for certain types of disaster assistance.  If you are undocumented, you can get certain kinds of disaster help.

Cash help and long-term disaster services from the government are available only to U.S. citizens and qualified aliens.

If you are undocumented, but you are the parent of children under 18 who live with you and are U.S. citizens or qualified aliens, you can apply on their behalf for government disaster help.  This includes FEMA cash assistance.

  • You must give your children’s social security numbers
  • Be clear that you want services only for your children.  Be clear that you do not want services for yourself
  • You should not be required to provide your Social Security number or any information about your own immigration status
  • Do not provide any false information

For more helpful tips, visit www.lonestarlegal.org or call 1.800.504.7030

Welcome to the Harris County Recovery Network Website

In the event of a disaster or other emergency, this is your information hub for the weeks and months after the immediate emergency passes and recovery begins. If the emergency creates the need for shelters, food and water distribution or longer term housing we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction. This is NOT the best source of information before and during an emergency.

The Harris County office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management will coordinate with the local news outlets before and during the actual emergency. The Harris County Recovery Network is here to serve you in the in the weeks, months and even years beyond the immediate emergency. Meanwhile, we hope you take the time to review this information from lessons learned after past emergencies.