Updated :
Replacing Lost or Damaged Documents

lost documentsAfter the Disaster: Replacing Lost or Damaged Documents

Disasters such as floods and tornadoes commonly result in the loss of important documents, but Texans who lost official and important papers have ways to replace them:


SNAP Card (Food Stamps):  Phone: 800-777-7328

Website:  https://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/providers/LoneStar/EBT/EBThowto.html

Green Cards:  Phone: 800-375-5283

Website: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card


Birth and death certificates:  Phone: 888-963-7111

Website: https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/reqproc/default.shtm


Texas Driver License:  Phone: 512-424-2600

Website: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/replace.htm


Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes:  Phone: 877-275-3342

Website: www.fdic.gov


Credit Cards: Contact the issuing institution:


 Credit Reports: Equifax, Experian or TransUnion Phone: 877-322-8228

Website:  www.annualcreditreport.com


Social Security Card:  Phone: 800-772-1213

Website:  www.ssa.gov

Fraud alerts or a credit freeze
: Phone: 877-438-4338

Website: http://www.texasfightsidtheft.gov/


Medicare Cards: Phone: 800-772-1213

Website: www.socialsecurity.gov/medicarecard/


Passport: Phone: 202-955-0430 or 1-877-487-2778

Website: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/lost-stolen.html


U.S. Savings Bonds: Phone: 800-722-2678 or 800-553-2663

Website: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/


Tax Returns: Phone: 800-829-1040

Website: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf


Military Records: Phone: 866-272-6272

Website: www.archives.gov/contact/


Vehicle Titles: Phone: 888-368-4689

Website: http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/get-a-copy-of-your-title


Insurance Documents: Phone: Check with your own insurance agent

Website: http://insurance.lawyers.com/natural-disasters/replacing-personal-documents-lost-in-a-disaster.html

 Real Estate and Property Records (Mortgage Documents, Deeds, etc.):

Phone: Contact your own agent

Website: http://propertydeeds.org/lost-property-deed-replacement-procedure/


Medical and Prescription Records: Call your own doctor; medical and prescription records are tracked electronically.


Replace a Texas Marriage Record or Certificate:

Website: General http://texasmarriagelicense.org/replace-marriage-record.html

Website: Issuing Clerk of Court http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/field/localremotedistrict.shtm


Proof of Address/Residency:

Website: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-57.pdf


National Archives Records:

Website: General http://www.archives.gov/preservation/records-emergency/public.html

Website: Saving family records http://www.archives.gov/preservation/disaster-response/guidelines.html


NOTE: FEMA  and Harris County does not endorse any specific products or services.

Welcome to the Harris County Recovery Network Website

In the event of a disaster or other emergency, this is your information hub for the weeks and months after the immediate emergency passes and recovery begins. If the emergency creates the need for shelters, food and water distribution or longer term housing we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction. This is NOT the best source of information before and during an emergency.

The Harris County office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management will coordinate with the local news outlets before and during the actual emergency. The Harris County Recovery Network is here to serve you in the in the weeks, months and even years beyond the immediate emergency. Meanwhile, we hope you take the time to review this information from lessons learned after past emergencies.